Monday, February 23, 2009

My grandma

My sweet grandmother passed away the day after Valentine's Day.  She lived in California (where many of my relatives live) so we made a trip out to Cali to attend the funeral.

My grandma was an amazing woman. She and my grandpa had 9 children- 8 girls and 1 boy right in the middle. I was given my middle name after her which I think  is neat. It is something I can carry with me. Whenever someone asks what my middle name is or for my full name, I think of my grandma. She always loved to bake, sew, and spend time with her children. She was such a devoted wife and mother. As you can probably guess, she loved children.

One of my aunts decided to write down all of my grandma's kids, their spouses, their children (which would be her grandkids) and their kids (which would be her great grandkids).  The count is 108 and 4 more on the way. That is incredible. I bet she is looking down on us with my grandpa saying "Wow Jay, look at what has come from just the two of us starting out when we were so young." My grandpa passed away about 2 1/2 years ago, on Fathers Day actually. My grandma has been very sick for years and I know she sorely missed her sweetheart. So, now she is in a perfected state, no more pain and sickness, and she is with her soulmate, her eternal companion. She is also with little Micah, my nephew who also just passed away. 

I am just at peace. I am so looking forward to the day when we will all be together again. The phrase "Families are Forever" has never meant more to me than it does now because I am living it. I have to make the right choices, I have to make it back to my Heavenly Father. If I don't, what do I have? . . . . . . nothing because family is everything to me.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I am so sorry Jessica. Life has been throwing lots of obstacles your family's way lately. But, how happy your Grandma must be. How sad we are when we lose someone. But I always think that if it were us on the other side, we would be rejoicing.

Heidi said...

I'm sorry about your grandma and I'm especially sorry to hear about your nephew. What a hard thing to have to go through. I can't even imagine. They are such a beautiful family.