Saturday, April 4, 2009

Never a dull moment :-)

I also wanted to add that on Wed afternoon, when I picked Sy up from school, he was covering his eye and his teacher told me he poked himself in the eye or got dust in it at recess. When we got home, it looked fine and he said he wasn't bothered by it anymore so I didn't worry about it.
There were also two marks next to each other. Drew looked at the penetration, and we both thought it looked like a spider bite. I'm pretty sure that's why the doc gave him an antibiotic, in case of an infection. Also, Sy gets bothered fairly easily and he hasn't complained or scratched. Think about it. "Mosquito bites itch" and sometimes it's hard for a kid. AND- I haven't seen any mosquitoes. I think there is an allergy doctor that I can take him to, but I think he is mostly for food allergies. So, you guys read this, and tell me what you think . . . I need input or to hear if you've ever had anything (or your kids) similar happen.


On Thursday morning, Sy had woken up at 4:30am telling me that his ear hurt and he wanted a wash cloth, something cold "to make it feel better." I, being half asleep still, got him one, he laid right back down and I went to sleep. When we got up around 7 o' clock, his ear looked a little swollen. So did his eye. Drew said his ear almost looked like he had just laid on it and it was red. I felt a little uneasy. Anyway, he went to school.

By the time I came to pick him up, his ear was swollen and puffy. It looked like a tomato. His eye was almost swollen shut, his other ear was red, there were 2 red bumps on his neck, three that I saw on his legs, and one on his wrist. I got worried and called the doc right away. There were these little spots that almost looked like blisters (like they had puss in them) inside his ear. And two red marks next to each other. Drew and I both thought "Spider bite." I was terrified.

So, after driving an hour to the pediatrician, the nurse came in and said "He looks like he has hives." I told her that's why I was there. I didn't know what it was. I had given him benadryl so the swelling wasn't even as bad now as it had been earlier. The doctor looked at him, asked me lots of questions like if he played outside, what kind of pjs he wore, etc. Him and his brother had played in the backyard the night before for about 10 minutes. Then he took a shower and put on long sleeved pjs. He also had recess at school. She said it was most likely mosquito bites and that it wasn't anything in his room because they were all over his legs as well. I questioned her about three times "Mosquitoes, really?" I thought some of them looked like they might be, but not on his ear. She said "You know how some people are allergic to bees, well, he is severely allergic to mosquitoes." This is an allergic reaction he's having. And I said "What about his ear?" She told me that there isn't much fatty tissue there and it can't bump up like it normally does on the skin. She said this is just his bodies way of reacting to it. 

She said we need to be really careful. If he gets enough bites at one time, he can swell up and could being having trouble breathing. So she said to give him benadryl, a steroid, and an antibiotic (in case of an infection). It's just crazy. It's not like a food allergy. My kid is allergic to milk, he can't have it. It's hard to make sure he never gets bit by a mosquito. But, we'll do the best we can. A few weeks ago, he apparently got bit by one, and his cheek swelled up so bad, he looked like a chipmunk, like he got his wisdom teeth out.

Like I said, around here, there's never a dull moment.

(They had a popsicle party at school. 
Thus, explaining the orange all over his mouth. 
This is after the benadryl has kicked in, so the swelling has lessened tremendously)








5 comments:

heather said...

what a little trooper to just go the school day like that. i'm surprised his teacher didn't send him to the nurse.

Heidi said...

WOW! I can't believe that was caused by mosquitos! Does it only happen if he's bit numerous times? Weird that would be the first time something has happened since surely he's been bit before. Crazy! I would've been really worried too.

Amy said...

Thomas had that same reaction when he smeared broken eggs all over his face at 1 year (lovely). His one ear swelled up like a piece of ham glued to his head. And his eyes were puffy and etc etc. If you don't really think it was mosquitos that caused it, you should make sure you've always got benedryl on hand because next time he swells up it will probably be even worse than this time!

Jessica said...

I'm sorry for that! I am allergic to bees, and I swell up like that when I get stung! It will be hard to protect while he is young, but he will learn real quick to stay away from them! I haven't been stung by a bee for about 13 plus years! Well good luck!

Tifani said...

Oh my gosh! What a little tropper! We are glad that he is doing better. I am pretty sure that it's impossible to avoid mosquitos in AZ. I hope that this wont happen again. Darn bugs!